Friday 15 July 2011

Jenne is Ferry Happy!

We awoke to rain, again – and it seemed to me it poured most of the night.  Glad I ran the heater in the motor home and kept it toasty and the dampness at bay. The weather network says it is 10C outside, it feels like 2C.  There is a strong wind and pelting rain.  As the day progressed it cleared – but never so much as a sunny day, although it was trying at times, to break through.

We left the campground shortly after 1 p.m. and headed for the ferry dock. Our ferry wasn’t scheduled to leave until 5 p.m., but they do tell you it is important to check in before 3 p.m. – and what can I tell you, we were anxious to get in line and check in. We called our friends in Paradise, Nfld (what a great name) from the pay phones in the terminal building, then picked up a map and some brochures; and heard a very entertaining story from one of the attendants at the information booth - about her husband chasing a moose. We both love the accents and love the stories – they make us laugh!  

We have been warned repeatedly about the number of moose on the island and our chances of encountering one or more in our travels. Guess I better keep my camera handy!

We boarded the ship (well I did at least in the car) a little after 3:30 p.m. I was one of the first at the reception desk to get a plastic room key (as we were told our paper ones would not work). Unfortunately, Marcel had the paper key and they would not give me the plastic one without seeing his paper one and he didn’t board the ship until much later. I think it was sometime between 4:15 and 4:30 when he finally met me at the reception desk.

We got our room key and went to check out our cabin.  Well as a friend said recently, “it’s not the Love Boat!”  But, to be honest, we really can’t complain.  After watching many passengers board and ask to be put on the wait list for a cabin, I am so happy we booked ours when we did.  We have a 4 berth cabin (as that was all that was left when we booked) .  So, the first thing we did, was turn up the top bunks, to make the room feel bigger. We have an ocean view room - again can’t complain as there are inside cabins, a nice big bathroom, no TV in this one and we do have to sleep in the bottom bunks, but I am sure we will be comfortable. We brought drinks and snacks with us and have decided to have dinner onboard tonight.

There was an announcement early on, that the ship’s departure was going to be delayed. It is now 6:25 p.m. and we are still at the dock.   We finally left at 7:05 p.m.

At 7:15 we decided to go to the dining room for the dinner buffet.  There was lots of variety including poached salmon, bacon-wrapped cod, roast beef, chicken, vegetarian lasagna, macaroni and cheese, tortellini and an assortment of salads, potato dishes and hot veggies – and that is just what I can remember. After dinner we went back to our room and by 9:30 the ship was tossing about so much in the water, I began to feel ill, so took an anti-nausea pill (thank goodness I brought some with me) and decided to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment